The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, January 21, 2019

In Honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


Another year has passed and here we are again celebrating Martin Luther King Day. Sadly, we are still suffering from a culture of racial division made worse almost daily by the media and the identity politics of the Liberal Left. I wish people would go back and listen to the words of Dr. King and his messages of non-violence and love. I wish more people viewed the world the way he did. I wish more people had the hope and vision and dream of the future that he talked about. Maybe someday we’ll get there.

Here’s my post from last year at this time.

As a teacher, I tried whenever possible to expose my students to things I felt important, things I felt everyone should know, things I feared that many of them had missed somehow along the way. The “I Have a Dream” speech of Martin Luther King, Jr. is one of those things. For many years I would play at least a portion for my students as we neared the holiday. There are lines that are familiar to almost everyone, but even those are better heard than read. Surprisingly, a large number of people have never heard it in its entirety.

I don’t have a class or students anymore, so this is for my loyal readers. Whatever you may think about the man personally or in the unfortunate case of many young people today, if you are completely ignorant of the man and his place in our history, let me encourage you to listen to a fantastic speech/sermon/lecture, whatever you want to call it and spend some time thinking about the words which are as relevant today as they were in 1963.

Finding a copy should not be too difficult and it is well worth the time it takes to listen to the entire speech. Here’s a link to a pretty good version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smEqnnklfYs

No comments:

Post a Comment