The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Representing Your Country Poorly


I confess to not being a real fan of soccer. Still, I will watch the highlights and pull for the American teams when the World Cup and other international competitions roll around. I was truly saddened to read a recent article about the pathetic Megan Rapinoe who has to decided to put herself before team and do her best to make it all about her.


I remember her kneeling for the anthem a few years ago and thinking how stupid it was. If you are playing for the national team, representing your country on the world stage, how can you disrespect your country and it’s anthem and flag? Makes no sense to me. If our country is such an embarrassment to you, find another place to play.

She no doubt has the ability and talent to compete at the top level, but seriously, you put on the red, white, and blue uniform with USA boldly emblazoned on it, and you have the nerve to say you only stand because the cowardly organization passed a rule making you, but you won’t put your hand over your heart or sing that song. What a farce!

She claims she was inspired by Colin Kaepernick and his social justice stance. I call BS on them both. I wish I could be as oppressed as these world famous athletes who have privileges I will never see. If you are sincere in your beliefs, then do something. And I don’t mean some symbolic gesture that shines a spotlight on you and how wonderful and caring a person you are. (At least CK is spending some of his millions on social programs to help underprivileged kids.)

I guess I’m just really tired of all these athletes and celebrities who feel their political opinions should count for more than the rest of us. Maybe they should just shut up and do their jobs. On the other hand, maybe I’m being a bit hypocritical myself. I do believe that athletes and others in the public eye should strive to be (positive) role models. I guess I expect them to show more by their actions and less by their sometimes empty words. Just my opinion.

Anyway, back to our team captain. In addition to her stance on the anthem, I also question her leadership in general. Already our team has drawn criticism for vigorously celebrating meaningless, late goals against comparatively weaker opponents. Celebrations that include our wonderful captain. Back when I coached, I always thought the choice of team captain was crucially important. Who you pick to represent your team as captain says a lot about your team and its members. Maybe we should have picked a better person to represent us, someone who better represents our country. Since we are the USA national team, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment