The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, April 29, 2019

Poetry in the Interim


In June of last year, I published a collection of poetry. (https://books2read.com/randomthoughts) The poems were written over a period of around sixteen months during which I concentrated the majority of my writing efforts on just poetry. Once the volume was completed, I began working on a novel, which became two books, and a third in progress.

Being in the novel writing frenzy, I have neglected my poems, other than a few which have appeared and insisted they be heard. Here’s one about my first car.

Green Mustang

My very first car
Was a ’68 Ford
My dad bought for me.
We took it for a test drive
During the day,
Closed the deal
And drove it home.
Later we discovered
It had electrical problems
And the lights wouldn’t work.
It also had no jack or spare.
Buyer beware.

My new job prompted a poem that came to me late one night after clocking out of the graveyard shift. I managed to get the lines recorded before falling into bed the next morning.


The Hotel

Working at the front desk,
Trying to help every guest,
For they are travelers,
Away from home,
At our mercy for hospitality,
Depending on us for creature comforts.

It’s late and some are yet to arrive.
We worry and wonder why they are delayed,
Like parents desiring all the kids to be at home
Safe and secure, under our roof once more.
So we jump at every sound,
Expecting to see them at our door,
Disappointed when they are not,
But still we wait,
Patiently, at the front desk.

Maybe when the next novel is done, I’ll get serious about another collection of poetry. Either that, or I’ll continue waiting for inspiration to strike. And jotting down a few random thoughts in the interim.

No comments:

Post a Comment