The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, May 6, 2019

Have I Mentioned That I Hate Editing?


A few weeks ago, I shared my frustrations with the difficulty I was having getting started on my latest work in progress (The New Novel, 4-1-19). Since then, I have found my rhythm and the novel is beginning to take shape. Sincere thanks to those readers who weighed in on the sample openings I provided and helped me determine the best way to start the story. I really appreciate the input!

For the most part, I can write and force my “inner editor” to shut up and stay out of the way. I know that is a blessing. Many writers find their flow constantly interrupted by the need to edit as they go. I do a little as I write, but mostly, I mark words or passages in red (so that I can find them later) and plunge ahead, making a conscious effort to put editing off until another day and time. It works for me.

Of course, it also creates the very problem I am addressing today. My unfinished, unedited, unrevised works are piling up! I desperately need to find the time to go back and work on my previously “completed” works. I have two novels that are finished, in a manner of speaking, and I feel the need to publish again in the next several months. I just can’t seem to make myself commit to the necessary editing and revising that both manuscripts need. Honestly, I would rather keep writing the next story and get it down while the narrative is writing itself in my head.

The obvious solution would be to devote some hours or minutes each day to writing and for editing/revising.  That brings up the other issue, time. When I retired, I found plenty of opportunity to write, but I quickly tired of being broke. Working part-time was not supposed to cut into that time, but it has already made an impact. More than the actual hours, the real problem is the effect that working the graveyard shift has had on my sleep and energy levels. I know, life is tough, wah wah.

So, do I write or do I edit? I suppose my real fear is that if I step back from my current novel, I will lose my sense of the story and it will fall by the wayside. So, I’m torn. Do I keep working on my current masterpiece or put it aside and get serious about preparing the finished works for publication? Any suggestions from my fellow writers?

No comments:

Post a Comment