The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, June 25, 2018

Wonder: A Wonderful Family Movie


I know this is not a recent release or anything, but I just saw this movie and I wanted to let people know that if you missed this one, you should really go back and seek it out. I live in a small town without a movie theater, and other than a few blockbusters here and there (Avengers Infinity War!), I tend to watch a lot of movies from Redbox, rather than drive the hour to the nearest cinema. Don’t feel sorry for me, I can pause at any time for a potty break and the snacks at my house are way cheaper than the ones at the theater.

Anyway, I almost missed this one myself for a couple of reasons. My kids are grown, so even thought the trailers looked great, I might have passed on this one had my wife not wanted to see it. Also, I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to movies based on books. I’m a former English teacher, so I generally go with “the book is always better” philosophy, and though I often watch the movies, I almost always read the book first. This time, I so enjoyed the movie, I can hardly wait to read the book and I truly hope it doesn’t disappoint!

The blurb from IMDB reads “Based on the New York Times bestseller, WONDER tells the incredibly inspiring and heartwarming story of August Pullman, a boy with facial differences who enters 5th grade, attending a mainstream elementary school for the first time.” I’ll try to leave the story at that so as not to give out any spoilers. I will say that the story is presented well and although some may find it predictable, I loved the characters and the different perspectives were intriguing to me.

Let me start with the acting. The main character of Auggie is played by Jacob Tremblay, a marvelous young actor probably best known for Room, another excellent movie. Despite the disadvantage of the required makeup effects, he does a great job of portraying the boy through his eyes, his voice, and his general physicality. He never seems fake or costumed, but rather honest and true to the spirit of the character. I thought he was fantastic.

The parents are played by Owen Wilson and Julia Roberts and they do a superb job of communicating the love, the pain, and the enormous challenges with which they were presented due to their son’s appearance. As a parent, I was deeply moved by their strength. I have always been a huge fan of Julia Roberts and she is amazing in this role. Owen Wilson, much more well-known for his comedic skills, does a great job of playing the goofy, off-beat dad, who does everything he can to help his son survive. Mandy Patinkin, plays the sympathetic school principal, and is as good as always. And finally, the cool teacher who loves his job and his students is played by Daveed Diggs, an actor unfamiliar to me, but definitely compelling in this role.

Auggie’s friends are brought to life by a strong supporting cast of kids, but it is the older kids who really impressed me. I won’t list the entire cast, but I will say that Izabela Vidovic who plays the older sister is amazing. All of the younger actors do a solid job and overall, the acting is consistently good!

The film is directed by Stephen Chbosky, best known for the teen drama, Perks of a Wallflower. Although he does a good job with the younger kids, once again it is with the older kids that he truly shines. Throughout the film, we get the opportunity to jump around and see the action through the point of view of the different characters. It is an interesting technique that works well for this movie. The subplot involving the sister is very compelling. Her effort to find her place in a family that revolves around her brother is touching, and her relationship with her mother is fascinating. The abandonment by her best friend only adds to her frustration. This storyline was powerful, yet understated and I was captivated.

But the story centers on Auggie and his struggles to fit in. Having worked in both public and private schools, I will say that the good, the bad, and the ugly are all shown with accuracy. Kids can be cruel. So can adults. And it’s sometimes hard to watch. (Truthfully, I only yelled at the screen when the parents of the bully tried to argue with the principal and justify their kid’s behavior.) But overall, I think the movie has a great, positive message and I highly recommend it. Even if you don’t have kids at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment