The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Friday, February 3, 2023

The Real Problem With Identity Politics

As a white male, I’m almost afraid to even comment on the subject of racism. Popular culture (at least from the left) says that I am privileged, inherently biased, and just basically a horrible human being. Therefore, I have no real understanding of the issue (or what it’s like to be a minority) and no right to have (or express) an opinion. So at the risk of being cancelled, here goes!

The following is completely my own opinion, for what it’s worth.

At its core, or essence, racism basically comes down to the belief that skin color makes people different – superior, inferior, or whatever.

Without the existence of this warped belief system, every individual would only be judged by their own individual merits (or lack thereof). Or to quote Martin Luther King, Jr. they would “not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”

Today’s Liberals, in their quest for “anti-racism,” are creating a world that is exactly the opposite. Their constant, non-stop, never-ending message is – notice skin color, base every decision on skin color, assign every thought, or word, or action, or motive to skin color. Nothing that is said, or done is ever considered (or reported) without first identifying the race of the persons involved. Everything is about race. Every! Single! Solitary! Thing! Listen to the mainstream media if you doubt me.

And what message does that send? That race matters. It matters a lot. It matters most. That’s why they have to point it out first and foremost. And that’s the wrong message.

Do we have a problem with racism in America? Of course, we do. And as long as we are being told on a daily basis that the color of our skin is what defines us above all else, we always will.

 

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree. Morgan Freeman told Mike Wallace in a 2013 interview, “You want to diminish racism? Stop constantly talking about it. Stop bringing attention to it. Stop focusing on it. How about if instead of you referring to me as a black man you just call me Morgan, and instead of me referring to you as a white man, I simply call you Mike.” In another more recent interview with Don Lemon of CNN, Morgan said, “I’m not oppressed. I’m not disadvantaged. I’m not a victim. Show me how that’s true. It’s only true for those who choose it. Those are things I’ve chosen not to subject myself to.” Are there some people who are more privileged than others? Most definitely. There are white people more privileged than me. There are black people more privileged than me. There are brown people more privileged than me. Some of earned it and some inherited it…and that’s okay. We ALL have the ability to make our own path, especially in America, but you can’t be lazy, you can’t be unmotivated and you can’t lack initiative. Those things will drastically limit your opportunities. Just because our path might be more difficult than someone else’s doesn’t mean we’re denied a path. We’re the only person who can deny ourselves access through our own despondency. I refuse to acknowledge or embrace victimhood in this country. It’s a choice, not something predetermined or predestined by skin color. It’s just simply not.

    ReplyDelete