The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, April 16, 2018

Literacy Privilege and Other Nonsense


Last week, I wrote a semi-serious piece about silently correcting the grammar of other people. Little did I know that my innocent piece of journalism would expose me as a racist, white supremacist, and bigot! Am I secretly guilty of Literacy Privilege? Although the term has been around for many years, I had honestly never heard it before until this past week, so I actually had to spend some time educating myself. Apparently, as a privileged white male, I have no idea the struggle other less privileged people have with the English language. After a very short time researching and reading, I call BS!

According to popular blogger Chandra “the idea that there is only one right way of doing English – and everyone else is doing it wrong – is inherently flawed.” She goes on to say that what is generally judged to be “right” or “good” or “correct” in writing or grammar is “ALWAYS aligned with characteristics of the dialects spoken by privileged, mostly wealthy, mostly white people.” She also claims it to be a “common myth that literacy ability is tied to intelligence” or that “bad English is the result of laziness.” Her full article including a Literacy Privilege Checklist can be found at https://paintingthegreyarea.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/literacy-privilege/.

Allow me to respectfully, but forcefully disagree. There is a right way to speak and write the English language, there is an accepted standard when it comes to the rules and usage, and anyone, regardless of race or ethnicity can learn those rules and speak (and write) the language correctly. As a high school English teacher, I taught my students that there was indeed a “right” way to speak and write English, or to use the textbook explanation, a distinct difference in standard and non-standard English. I did once have an African-American student tell me, “You’re trying to make me talk like a white person.” To which I replied, “No, I’m trying to make you talk like an educated person.”

Now I will admit, there are people with learning disabilities such as dyslexia who truly have a distinct disadvantage when it comes to the English language, but for most people who exhibit poor grammatical skills, I do believe it comes down to ignorance, or even laziness. I taught students of every color and the ones who applied themselves were all entirely capable of learning proper, standard English and the ones who did not apply themselves continued to display poor and incorrect grammar.

I understand there are cultural differences and dialects. I understand that how one expresses himself in the privacy of his own home is his own business. I taught my students that there was nothing wrong with informal speech and the use of non-standard English in those informal situations. I also taught them that there would be situations that would undoubtedly require more formal, standard communication and that when those situations arose, they should be prepared.

Whether or not you believe in the concept of privilege, my personal opinion is that it does not extend to literacy. No one is bad at English because of the color of his skin. I believe that education is the great equalizer, and it’s time we stopped making excuses for all the people who skated through school doing the bare minimum. They should have worked harder, listened more, maybe done their homework. There’s a reason why he don’t talk so good! No whut I meen?

No comments:

Post a Comment