The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, August 26, 2019

A Wrinkle in Time – The Book, the Movie, and the Memories



Somewhere around the latter part of my elementary school days, I first read A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle. Even then, I was quite the reader, so more than likely I read it a few more times over the next several years. For most of my adult life, I have proclaimed it to be a great book and one of my all-time favorites.


Cut to 2019. While scanning Netflix recently looking for something to watch, I came across the latest Disney movie version and a few days later had a brief conversation about the book and movie with my brother. We both agreed that the book was wonderful, and though neither of us had seen the movie, we both agreed it was probably terrible. (At least that was the opinion of most of the reviews I had read.)

Cut to the present. I’ve re-read the book and watched the movie. Of course, I have. What else does one do when you’ve talked about a book? You read it. And then, you go and watch the movie to compare it to the book. Right? So, here’s my (now) informed opinion on them both.

First, a word of caution. Reading a children’s book as an adult is a bit tricky. (Probably the best way is to read it aloud to your own child.) Be prepared. As is probably true for any book written for a young audience, it has a pretty simple and straightforward plot, and as an adult, I liked it, but I found myself wondering what had so captivated me about the book when I had first read it.

I suppose as a pre-teen, I loved the adventure, the idea of the kids saving the parent, the magic of jumping around the universe to different planets, etc. Even though I couldn’t appreciate the  wonder at my current age, I will say that I maintain all my fond memories of the book and I’m sure that it played a large part in fueling my love for reading that hasn’t been diminished by time. So, despite my waning enthusiasm, I would still highly recommend the book to the appropriate young audience.

And the movie? Well, again, not great, but still worth the watch? I’m on the fence. Honestly, it suffers in comparison to the book (as always, because “the book is always better” Can I get an Amen from all the English teachers out there!), but it’s not as bad as some critics have rated it. It is still a good tale of adventure with an upbeat ending, and there were some great moments, but overall, there were some problems, as well.

First, although it follows the plot of the book, the screenwriters felt the need to add several ridiculous scenes that do nothing but distract. (Did we really need the Mean Girls subplot? Or the silly tree/tornado scene?) The bigger crime (IMHO) is the way they failed to stay true to the characters, and I don’t mean their appearance. (Many people were bothered by the movie portraying the Murrys as a multi-racial family. I was fine with the casting and the acting was solid, but the writers made several characters into very different people, especially the three ladies. Mrs. Whatsit (the nicest one in the book) becomes somewhat mean and sarcastic. Mrs. Who (smartest, most knowledgeable) is now a moron who can’t even speak on her own. Mrs. Which (most powerful, mysterious, and frightening) is shown as a sweet, gentle, grandmotherly type. And her make-up and costumes? Just bizarre, to say the least. And why make Charles Wallace an adopted child in the movie?

Anyway, I could go on, but I won’t. As I said before, the movie did have its moments, and the music and some of the visual effects were good, but I’m rarely satisfied with movie adaptations of books I like. And by the way, how come no one ever told me the book had 4 sequels? And now I’ve gone and gotten too old to truly appreciate them!

No comments:

Post a Comment