The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, February 3, 2020

Are Trigger Warnings Necessary for Writers?


I follow a lot of writers on Twitter and I recently came across a long series of tweets regarding trigger warnings in books and stories. I laughed initially, until I realized that these people were actually serious. And angry. And might I add, delusional. But mostly just angry, and demanding.

So, since we’re living in an age of outlandish political correctness, let’s talk about this somewhat controversial concept. According to Dictionary.com a trigger warning is “a stated warning that the content of a text, video, etc. may upset or offend some people, especially those who have previously experienced a related trauma.” Originally, the idea was suggested to help PTSD sufferers avoid situations that would “trigger” flashbacks to the traumatic event itself.

Now, of course, we are living in a society that encourages victimhood and praises anyone who is woke enough to be offended by pretty much everything in the world around them. (Incidentally, many psychologists are now coming to believe that trigger warnings are ineffective and that avoidance doesn’t help in the treatment of such disorders as PTSD. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/03/21/new-study-says-trigger-warnings-are-useless-does-mean-they-should-be-abandoned) It may actually be more helpful, you know, to learn to deal with things instead of always running away.

So, should authors preface all their works to warn readers about hatred, and prejudice, and violence, and rape, and the ever increasing list of taboo subjects that might offend someone? Most of the long list of commenters on Twitter would answer with a definite yes. For me, I would have to go with a solid no.

I’m not denying that there really are some people with serious enough conditions to actually be triggered by certain media. But for the average person out there, if reading about certain subjects is going to traumatize you, then be more selective about your choices or just stick to children’s books. Although, reading a kindergarten book about Steve and his two dads would probably upset me! But then, I’m an ADULT! I’m not likely to get all butthurt and cry and beg for a safe space if I get offended by reading an opposing viewpoint. Seriously.

Here’s the only warning you will ever get for my books – read the book description and if it sounds interesting, read it. If not, then don’t. Admittedly, my books are pretty tame, but let’s get real. If you pick up a book of erotica, don’t be shocked to find graphic sex scenes. If it’s a book about a serial killer, or the Mafia, or a true crime, do you really need a trigger warning that the book just might have some descriptions of violence? Have some common sense!

Another hot topic for writers these days (that really bothers some readers) is the whole idea of cultural appropriation. Some people have decided to be offended because the author doesn’t share the same gender, or race, or ethnicity of the characters. So, I guess I’m only allowed to write about old white guys? BS!

I may not understand every aspect of another person’s life experience, but still, I write characters based on real people I know and have known. My books include a gay character. Also, some people of color. And some women and children. If it bothers you that a straight white male has actually dared to write such diverse characters, again, don’t read my books then. (I’ve heard American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins is very good, but if the author’s race bothers you, then read something else. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/01/american-dirt-controversy/605725/ )

I love to read. I’ve read lots of books by lots of authors and I will continue to do so. Sometimes I come across disturbing scenes, but I manage. If they’re too bad, I mark that particular author off my list and move on to someone else. But I keep reading. Let me encourage you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment