The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, May 25, 2020

Batman: The Caped Crusader Through the Years


I have always been a huge Batman fan! He is definitely my favorite Superhero (super-powered or not). I have fond memories of reading the comics as a kid. I even have (somewhat) fond memories of watching the corny, silly TV series from the sixties. Yes, I really am that old!

Despite the goofiness, watching Adam West slide down the Batpole and become Batman was always cool! And the Batmobile bursting out of the hidden cave entrance – way cool! I really loved the old sixties Batmobile with the subtle red trim.

Nevertheless, even though the comics themselves were a little campy by then, what I really wanted to see was the original Batman, the “Dark Knight” who chose to dress like a creature of the night and “strike terror” into the hearts of “superstitious and cowardly” criminals. Needless to say, I was thrilled with the Tim Burton/Michael Keaton films! Not so much with the Schumacher/Kilmer/Clooney movies which veered the character back to the tone of the old TV show, in my opinion.

Finally in 2005, Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale brought us the version many of us had been awaiting! All three were excellent movies, and after many viewings, I can honestly say, I still find them fantastic and very true to the vision of Batman from my childhood imaginings! (And of course, Heath Ledger as Joker? Nobody has done it better!)

And now for my (perhaps) controversial thoughts. My favorite portrayal of Batman onscreen is none other than Ben Affleck! I could go into all the reasons why I believe Affleck is such a truly underrated actor, but for this particular article, I’ll stick to the one role. Maybe it’s my age, but I honestly love the way he brings this character to life. Older, wiser, somewhat beaten down by the years of battling criminals and super-villains, this Batman is amazing.

I guess it all goes back to why I love Batman in the first place. He’s the superhero with no super powers, right? The regular guy who trains himself and goes out to fight crime and protect his city using his wealth to equip himself with the necessary tools and gadgets. The master detective following the clues and solving puzzles. The one who’s ready to fight Superman himself if he sees him as a threat. The one who knows when he needs help and rounds up a Justice League when needed. The hero who never loses his humanity. I love this version of the older Batman.

So, I was excited to see the next Batman movie with Affleck as the title character, and I was crushed when the whole project went bust. (Am I the only one who would still love to see Affleck’s Batman in “The Dark Knight Returns” by Frank Miller?) So, now instead, we get a new, young Batman played by shiny, glitter-boy vampire? Sorry, couldn’t resist!

Honestly, I’ve seen some of his other non-Twilight roles and I think (and hope) Robert Pattinson can pull it off! The early clips look promising. And of course, I’ll go see it as soon as it comes out, because I’m a huge Batman fan! If you haven’t seen it, here’s the official first look video:

And just for kicks, here’s my unofficial ranking of the best actors in the role:
1.       Ben Affleck (Suicide Squad, Batman v Superman, Justice League)
2.       Christian Bale (The Dark Knight Trilogy)
3.       Michael Keaton (Batman, Batman Returns)
4.       (Tie) Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Adam West, and those guys from the forties serials.

Drop a comment and let me know how you would rank the Batman portrayals!

No comments:

Post a Comment