The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, July 27, 2020

The Idea Behind the Story – Part 2


This week I’d like to share some of the origins of the stories featured in my second novel At the Drive-In: Small Town Tales. Told as a series of short stories, the book includes multiple tales sharing a common setting and a number of related characters. The format is inspired by such classics as John Steinbeck’s The Pastures of Heaven and Sherwood Anderson’s Winesburg, Ohio. A more modern example is Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. (I would highly recommend all three of these!)

I have often referred to At the Drive-In (and its sequel) as my unofficial memoirs because so many of the stories are based on actual true events from my years as a coach, teacher, and administrator. The title and the structure developed out of the very first story I wrote for the project “The Boy Who Cussed” about a principal dealing with a special education student with Tourettes. This one is almost entirely true and provided me with the idea of building the stories around the iconic (fictional) drive-in. Most of the other school stories from the book contain at least a grain of truth.

One of my favorite stories from the collection is “Friday Night Lights” which revolves around a high school football player who steals a particular item from an opponent’s dressing room. This is actually based on a true story passed down from my brother Cecil. He is also quite the storyteller (a trait we both inherited from our father). In truth it was a basketball team and I honestly have no idea of most of the details or the aftermath, but I’ve worked with enough coaches and principals to know how most of them would have reacted. As a coach, I’ve also taken teams into extremely hostile environments. Put all those elements together and you get my version of the story.

Both of my children participated in drama while in school, but my daughter Caitlin was the one who was truly passionate about One Act Play. My star Beta Reader Mary Beth spent some years sponsoring UIL drama. Thinking of those two in particular gave me the inspiration to write “Black Romeo” which looks at the drama produced by the casting of a high school play. Believe me when I say from experience, there is often more drama behind the scenes than appears on stage!

“Meow” was inspired by my wife. (And no! She is not a battered or abused wife!) Cora Peters is the most tragic figure in the novel and this story is meant to show her true kindness in spite of all she has endured. As I wrote the story, I imagined how Patti (as a true cat lover) would act or react in the situation. I loved being able to display another side to the character.

And finally, in “Funeral” the concluding tale, I borrowed from my brother-in-law to present a sermon celebrating the long life of a beloved character. At the actual funeral of his ninety-two year old grandmother, Eric preached a similar sermon describing in detail the world in which she had been born and raised. He highlighted the enormous changes she had witnessed over her lifetime. It was a wonderful tribute and I used the same concept to eulogize one of my novel’s central characters.

Come back next week, and I will conclude this brief series with a look at my upcoming novel Return to Eastlake, and the ideas that sparked these stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment