The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, July 13, 2020

The Virus – My Thoughts This Week


Well, the Coronavirus finally got a little closer (and a little more real) this week. A few extended family members tested positive, and a couple of others were potentially exposed, but tested negative. Living in a small community, the threat has seemed fairly mild for my household, but things do change.

I still wonder if shutting down the economy and destroying tons of small businesses was ever really warranted. It’s hard not to believe politics are driving the issue more than actual health concerns. I suppose it would be much easier to accept all the governmental restrictions, if this truly were a health issue (and if this weren’t an election year).

My biggest problem is the media and the manner in which the whole pandemic has been covered. I am perfectly willing to give up (temporarily) some of my rights as a citizen for the greater good. I care enough about my fellow human beings to restrict my travel, and social distance, and even wear a mask when needed, but I want (and need) to believe that the facts actually support those decisions.

And therein lies the problem. The mainstream media is driving a nationwide panic and nobody seems to have any real solid information on the virus. Is it the most deadly virus ever seen in the world or no more serious than the seasonal flu? More like the Spanish Flu or the common cold? Between the CDC and WHO and Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx and all the other so-called experts, most of us have no idea what to believe.

Does the virus live on surfaces? Wash your hands! Is it airborne? Wear a mask! Is it really easy to catch or really hard? Are the elderly and sick most likely to catch it? Who knows. Do the shutdowns work? Are protesters immune? Will mail-in ballots save the day? Listen to the news. Don’t like what you hear? Come back tomorrow, it will probably be totally different by then!

And what are we going to do about schools? Obviously, we still have a lot of questions with little or no answers. As for me and my family, we will do our best to follow safe practices and hope that we all stay healthy. We will continue to pray for those affected in our family, in our community, and around the world. And we will trust in God to see us through. May you find the same assurance in these troubled times.

No comments:

Post a Comment