The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, August 10, 2020

The Truth About My (Fictional) Characters

After my last three (very honest) posts about my stories and the often true events which inspired them, I had intended to move on to other topics, but before doing so, I wanted to clear up one potential misunderstanding. Although they may be based on actual people, all of my characters are entirely FICTIONAL!

In particular, my last two novels (my so-called unofficial memoirs) contain a number of characters based on people I have worked with over the years, but none are meant to represent any one specific person. For example, the main character in most of the stories could easily be assumed to be me, and in many cases, I may have been the teacher, coach, or administrator caught in the middle of the related incidents. In reality however, Cole Bradford, Ron Copeland, and several other characters (although partly me) are also largely based on others, administrators whom I admired for the most part.

The superintendents, and teachers, and other school personnel are almost completely blended characters. A single character in a single story might say or do things that occurred in real life, but even the most accurate quotes may have come from several sources and the events may have actually happened years apart in entirely different schools. When writing these characters, I may be remembering a specific incident or a conversation with a certain individual, but the characters on the page are unique creations. They are often given the best (or worst) traits of real friends (or enemies), but the combination is never meant to portray any actual person.

Sometimes, I use actual names or close variations of names as a form of tribute to those who inspired the characters, but even then, the names are meant more as an inside joke. As I mentioned in an earlier blog, the story behind "Friday Night Lights" came from my brother, so I named the quarterback Cecil, even though my brother never played QB. I did pattern the group of friends on my honest recollections of my brother, his friends, and the real camaraderie they shared. It seemed a nice (and innocent) way to include him in the story. In my first book, I did use the name of my very first girlfriend, but I was actually picturing an entirely different girl who sat in my old green Mustang and wouldn't quit messing with the radio.

I can only think of one character who is based solely on one student, but he is also fictionalized to a large degree. I borrowed a bit of his physical appearance, and some of his expressions and actions, but most of the character that appears in the book comes straight from my head. Honestly, sometimes, despite the author's attempts to tell the truth, these made-up people just take off and do their own thing!

Anyway, I hope I’ve not offended anyone in telling these stories. Of course, these days, not offending anyone is practically impossible. In all honesty, I just try and tell an entertaining tale and hope for the best. Hope you enjoy the effort!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment