The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, March 22, 2021

WandaVision vs. Zack Snyder’s Justice League

 

I confess to being a big Superhero fan, and I try to catch most, if not all of the movies, and many of the TV shows as well. As a youngster, I read mostly the DC comics, but I knew who the Marvel heroes were and occasionally read those too. I have always loved seeing my heroes portrayed on screen (even the cartoons!) From the old Batman TV series in the sixties to the current crop of blockbusters, I have remained a fan, so I couldn’t resist checking out these shows. Even if you’re not a fan of the genre, you’ve probably been bombarded by ads for the two most recent releases. Having seen both, here are my reviews.

I’ve seen all the Avengers movies, and although Vision and the Scarlet Witch are not particularly favorites, I was intrigued by the trailers of WandaVision. (Or at least until I had seen the exact same trailer on FB about 157 times!) After 2 episodes, I was convinced that this was the dumbest thing I had ever seen on television (which is saying a lot considering some of the current shows on network TV). I almost quit, but there were a few commentators on social media who insisted that the show would get better, so I decided to stick with it for at least a few more episodes. I’m glad I did.

By the end of the next two, I was hooked. It did get better. A lot better. Without spoiling too much, it is a very different kind of Superhero show. Primarily, it’s about grief and losing someone you love. It seems even superheroes have to deal with that sort of thing. (Spiderman: Far From Home also shares this theme to a degree.) Beginning with a somewhat silly sit-com premise, the show evolves into a complex multi-layered narrative that I found fascinating. And in true superhero form, it builds toward a big showdown where our hero must defeat the villain, in this case one you may not have seen coming.

Overall, the series was very well done, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Marvel fans should definitely check this one out. (As for The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I will let you know.)

As a DC guy, I was somewhat disappointed in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and the theatrical release of Justice League. I enjoyed both, but like most fans, felt they could have been better. The extended version of Batman v Superman was a vast improvement over the original version and did manage to fill in some of the obvious plot holes, and if you’ve read my previous blogs, you may remember I had high praise for Ben Affleck’s Batman. With that in mind, I was very much looking forward to the release of the Snyder cut of Justice League. I was hoping for a more cohesive narrative and a more serious tone. I was not disappointed!

Again, without spoilers, the Snyder Cut is well worth the four hours viewing time. Every character gets a more complete backstory, especially Cyborg, and we get the true villain who was missing from the original. Superman gets his story arc restored (and gets to wear the cool black suit), and we get another, much longer look at the Knightmare scenario to come. (Sadly, we may never get the third Justice League movie which would have continued this storyline.)

Overall, the movie is very different than the theatrical version. The tone is darker, the situation more grim, and the battle more epic. This version is also more emotional. Barry and his father, Barry and Iris, Victor and his father, Clark and his mother, Clark and Lois, etc. We get to see a more personal side of each hero, and it make us love them even more. DC fans especially should not miss this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment