The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, June 15, 2020

Return to Eastlake – Coming Soon!


I "finished" my novel Return to Eastlake in August of 2019. I keep asking myself why I haven't published it yet! It's a fair question and I suppose there is an obvious answer.

How to put it? Laziness? Procrastination? Perfectionism? Maybe all of the above? Almost ten months ago, I put aside the novel I am supposed to be writing, so that I could devote my time and energy toward editing, formatting, and publishing this one. So why haven't I finished yet?

Two problems.

First, editing (and revising) is hard! (And I hate it!) No matter how many times I read a section or chapter, I always manage to find something to "fix." Sometimes it is an actual typo or grammatical error and I am glad to have found and corrected it before seeing it in print. More often, I just keep finding different ways to say the same thing. Whether it is a word choice, a slightly different phrase or expression, an added or subtracted sentence, or a complete restructuring of a paragraph, I can't seem to stop tampering with the language.

The second problem is deciding when the book is actually finished. A sequel to my previous novel, the book is a collection of short stories connected by a common setting and a series of interrelated characters. After completing the book, I have written and added three additional stories! And I’m debating including one more! If I don't stop doing that, I will never finish!

Here's my thought. For the sake of accountability, I am setting a definite release date! I expect you to keep me honest. Especially those of you who read the first one and actually want to hear more about these characters. (And if you haven't read At the Drive-In, why haven't you?) So, here goes. By Thanksgiving, this book will be published! In the immortal words of Joe Namath, "I guarantee it!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment