The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, September 28, 2020

What Exactly is a Liberal?

 I saw a recent Facebook post of someone who claimed to be a proud Liberal and he included the following definition of the term:

 


As I read this, I wondered where all the Liberals have gone. I certainly don’t see many of the characteristics above displayed by the so-called Liberals in the media and the Democratic Party today. And I also wondered how anyone who actually fits the definition above could have anything to do with the radical leaders (or policies) of the Party.

Consider the definition. Really think about it. When I see the vile, disgusting, hatred for the President (and other Conservatives) that my “liberal” friends post openly on social media, I don’t think “free and generous heart” or “broad and enlightened mind.” I don’t think, here’s someone who “advocates liberty of thought or speech.”

The definition above sounds like a really nice, thoughtful person. I know some people like that and appreciate those qualities, but I certainly don’t see much of that in today’s politics. Or in the political views of the Party that is supported by so many proud Liberals.

People with “free and generous hearts” shouldn’t be okay with the murder of millions of unborn children. People with “broad and enlightened minds” shouldn’t be so afraid to have a civil discourse with others who might have different views on social issues. People who “advocate liberty of speech” shouldn’t be so quick to condemn the rights of others to exercise their free speech. Nor should any of these “liberals” be okay with the destruction of our country at the hands of “protesters” who want to “tear down the system.”

Where in the definition does it say liberals should advocate violence and stir up racial and class warfare? Some of the most narrow-minded, bigoted people I know are proud Liberals. Makes me wonder if they even know what the word liberal means. Maybe they need a new label for themselves.

I am obviously not a proud liberal, certainly not in today’s sense of the word. When I consider the anti-American, anti-second amendment, anti-God, anti-Capitalism, anti-unborn, etc, etc, I see nothing of the above definition in the Democratic Party. You know, the party that is supposed to be the liberal alternative to the Conservative Republican Party.

So maybe we need a better definition of liberal. Or maybe we need to stop thinking of Democrats as liberals. A Liberal like the one described above shouldn’t be a Democrat. Not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment