The Reddy Cab Company

The Reddy Cab Company
Available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook from Amazon!

Monday, August 24, 2020

The Trouble with Writing #159

I’m having motivation issues this week! I know, Boo Hoo. According to my notes, I have posted 158 previous blogs! I have another ten or twelve that are started, but not finished, and then, there’s today. And I’m just not feeling it!

As with any hobby or profession or obsession, there is a need to believe that what one is doing is worth the time and effort expended. Some days, the answer is just NO! Most writers get discouraged on occasion. I guess this is just my time.

Months ago, I chose to stop writing my latest book, so that I could concentrate on editing and publishing my previous novel, Return to Eastlake. (There is also another completed one waiting for revising and editing.) That sounded like a good plan at the time, but in the last several weeks, I have avoided working on that book as well. I still plan to have it published by Thanksgiving, but I don’t know how I will do that unless it starts to work on itself!

Let me confess that I never expected to make any money from my books. I really just wanted to share some stories and I hoped that someone out there might find them interesting. I’ve been pleased with how well the books turned out and honestly, I’m proud of the accomplishment, but it’s hard not to be discouraged when you get a royalty check for less than a dollar! Yes, that happened this week!

It would have been less painful to just go yet another month with zero sales! But no, I had to get an email telling me that my latest royalty would be deposited in my account this week. Exciting, right? Until I checked my bank account and experienced the phenomenal feeling of success that accompanies a $0.26 deposit!

Anyway, enough of the pity party. I have work to do, so have a great week and I’ll try to be more enthusiastic next week!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment